27 September 2012

OV-105 Endeavour's Arrival to Los Angeles

OV-105 Endeavour with SCA



On 21 September 2012, I had the opportunity to be at Griffith Observatory to witness Endeavour's final flight. She touched down at LAX and was delivered one step closer to her retirement home at the California Science Center. I waited my whole life to see a space shuttle in person, and this was almost a surreal experience for me. As I watched her make her final pass overhead and lumber off down south to buzz Long Beach, Seal Beach, and Disneyland, I admittedly got a little choked up and had to hold back a tear or two, as the fact that I was witnessing the end of an era that meant so much to me finally began to set in.

I had the good fortune to share this experience with a wonderful friend who is as avid a space program fan as I am, and in the little over 6 hours I sat and waited for the "show", I met some new, amazing friends as well. This honestly will be an experience that I will hold close to my heart forever.

Click on the thumbnail above to enjoy the full album, or click HERE to go to an album only featuring shots of Endeavour's majestic passes over the observatory and the famous Hollywood sign.

James :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment